Who knew that July was Mango & Melon Month? When we found out, we decided that our last recipe of the month had to be dedicated to these two fruits, both of which are in season right now and both of which are also high in folate!
Today’s recipe, adapted from a recipe that was originally published on Food.com, makes the perfect light summer dinner. It will not only keep you from using the stove, it is also guaranteed to help you re-hydrate after a day in the hot summer sun, as melons are full of water, as well as folate. Be sure to save your mango peels for today’s bonus face mask! (Scroll to end of this post.)
For the Salad
2 cups rotisserie chicken, skinned and shredded or cubed
2 mangoes, peeled (peels saved), flesh cut off the seed, then diced
1/2 small honeydew, cubed or cut with a melon-baller
1/2 small cantaloupe, cubed or cut with a melon-baller
6 cups pre-washed sweet mixed lettuce greens
For the Vinaigrette
1 small mango (peel saved), peeled seeded and roughly chopped
2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
2 tablespoons fruity extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons white wine
- Carefully toss chicken with cubed mango and melons.
- Puree all vinaigrette ingredients in a blender; pour over chicken and fruit.
- Divide salad greens between four plates; top with dressed chicken and fruit.
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 0 Minutes
4 Servings, 63 mcg Folate (16% RDA)
Bonus Face Mask! (Or What to Do with the Mango Peels)
We hope that you saved your peels! In addition to being full of nutrition, mango contains alpha-hydroxy acids (AHA), known to be good for skin. While AHA is listed as a prime ingredient in many expensive skin cleansers and masks, you can save money and avoid harmful chemicals by making your own mask from mango peels. To find out how, check out this post from Starre Vartan, first published on the Eco-Chick website.
- To learn more about the health benefits of honeydew melons, go to: http://www.weightchart.com/nutrition/info-melons-honeydew-raw.aspx
- To learn more about the health benefits of cantaloupe, see: http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/cantaloupe.html
- To learn more about the health benefits of mangos, visit: http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/mango-fruit.html