These muffins went fast when we served them at the SF Black Infant Health Improvement Project‘s Open House Event on January 28, 2010 (special thanks to our favorite caterer Claudine Daggit, owner of Stiletto & Spice)! So fast, in fact, that we decided to include them in one of our recipe brochures, Go Folic! Easy Snacks.
This recipe is so good that we decided to feature it in today’s Foodie Tuesday. In addition to making a great on-the-go breakfast, it can also serve as a very tasty snack. It’s easy to make, too!
Mini Healthy Veggie Bio: Did you know that zucchini…
- Is actually a fruit?
- Was first cultivated in Central and South America over 5000 years ago?
- Is good for your skin? Not only does it have plenty of folate and water, but it is high in vitamin C, which helps to prevent bruising.
- Is also high in potassium, manganese, and beta caratine / vitamin A, making it good for your heart, your bones, proper functioning of thyroid and sex hormones, and regulating blood sugar?
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Servings: 12 muffins
Folate per serving: 35 mcg (9% RDA)
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray or Butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1-1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 2 cups grated zucchini (about 2 small)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2/3 cups roasted walnuts
- Place an oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Spray muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray or coat with butter. (You can also use muffin tin liners, instead.)
- In a large bowl, stir together eggs, applesauce, granulated sugar, and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bow, stir together flour, salt, backing soda, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves,
- Stir flour mixture into egg mixture until barely blended (lumps are OK!).
- Gently stir in zucchini, raisins and walnuts.
- Divide batter evenly between muffin cups.
- Bake 20 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove muffin pan from oven and let muffins sit for 5 minutes.
- Remove muffins from pan and place them on a wire rack to finish cooling.
Enjoy at room temperature or warm with your favorite spread.