It’s time once again for a tasty recipe from Go Folic! This week we bring you a twist on an old favorite: macaroni and cheese. Kids and adults alike love a warm bowl of Mac and Cheese. Why not add a healthy kick with some veggies? (We also go heavy on the hot sauce, but we’ll leave that up to you).
Macaroni and Cheese with Glazed Vegetables
Yield: 5 servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 2 cups uncooked macaroni noodles
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 3/4 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 3/4 cups shredded lowfat Cheddar cheese
- 4 cups frozen mixed vegetables (corn, carrots, lima beans, peas, green beans)
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 cup 100% orange juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
- Cook the macaroni noodles according to the package directions; drain and set aside.
- Place an oven rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spray a skillet with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium heat.
- Add onions to skillet and saute until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add evaporated milk, eggs, ground black pepper, and 1 1/2 cups cheese; mix until smooth.
- Add cooked macaroni noodles to the cheese sauce and stir until well coated.
- Spray a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pour the mixture into the casserole dish and sprinkle the top with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the top bubbles and begins to brown.
- While the macaroni and cheese is baking, cook mixed vegetables in a microwave safe dish according to the instructions on the package.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a small bowl and stir until well blended.
- Drain vegetables and toss with the orange juice mixture.
- Serve 1 cup of macaroni and cheese alongside 3/4 cup of glazed vegetables.
Recipe from Champions for Change Soulful Recipes.