This week’s recipe comes from Champions for Change, part of the CA Department of Public Health’s Network for a Healthy California. If you haven’t made it over to their online recipe page, you should definitely take some time to check it out. They even have recipes in Spanish.
This recipe is great if you’re looking for something quick and easy to make for lunch or dinner. You can put these wraps together in about 10-15 minutes and still have yourself a healthy meal.
Special folic facts for this meal: adding 1/2 cup sliced avocado will give you 45 mcg (or 10% DV) of your recommended daily folate intake. You can also try to find fortified tortillas, which will have 400 mcg of folic acid – that’s 100% of your recommended daily folate intake!
Veggie Bean Wrap
Yield: 4 servings (1 wrap per serving)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 2 red or green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 (15 oz) can, 50% less salt/sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 mangoes, chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- 4 10-inch flat tortillas
- In a nonstick pan, saute bell peppers and onion for 5 minutes over medium heat. Add beans and stir well. Reduce heat to low and simmer about 5 minutes
- In a small bowl, combine mangoes, lime juice, cilantro, and avocado. Reserve 1/2 mixture for topping.
- Fill warm tortillas with 1/4 bean mixture and 1/4 mango mixture.
- Fold ends of the tortillas over. Roll up to make wraps. Top veggie bean wraps with remaining mango mixture and/or hot sauce of your choice. Enjoy!
Do you have a favorite healthy wrap or burrito recipe? Would you like to share it? If so, post it in the comments section or email us at email@example.com. Happy eating!