Strawberries are not only a delicious fruit, they also pack a punch of nutrition in that little package! Studies have indicated that eating a diet rich in strawberries can help protect your heart, lower your blood pressure, and prevent certain kinds of cancer. Strawberries are also chock-full of vitamin C and antioxidants, which help keep your body happy and healthy. Even better – strawberries are loaded with folates. In fact, one cup of strawberries contains 40 mcg of folate. Yes!
All those antioxidants and folates can help improve your hair, skin, and nails. Both help your body make new cells and repair cell damage to places like your facial skin. Strawberries also contain salicylic acid, which rids the skin of dead cells, makes your skin pores smaller and your face look brighter and shinier. They can gently refresh and exfoliate the skin, remove impurities, and reduce redness and swelling.
For more information about better health through strawberries, check out Oregon State’s Berry Health Benefits Network.
If you can stop yourself from eating this delicious-sounding strawberry mask recipe, use it on your face to promote clear skin, remove dirt and build up, and to counteract aging effects.
“Homemade Strawberry Facial Mask”
- 4-5 very ripe, medium strawberries
- 2 teaspoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Rinse strawberries and dry with a clean cloth or paper towel
- In a small bowl, mash fruit with a fork. Add cream and honey, mixing well.
- Apply immediately and wait 20 minutes. Rinse with lots of warm water. Pat face dry.
Some tips for making homemade facial masks:
- Cleanse your face before applying mask, using a toner
- Use soft water or distilled water, whenever possible
- Apply the mask by beginning at the chin area and moving up to the cheeks and forehead. Apply the nose next, moving outward toward the cheeks. Be sure to leave space around the mouth, eyes, and eyebrows. Finally, spread the mask on your throat, moving from bottom to top.
- Always use immediately! Because you don’t use preservatives, the mixture can go bad and damage your skin!