Today’s Foodie Tuesday recipe comes from a fantastic teen cookbook called Eat Fresh Food – Awesome Recipes for Teen Chefs written by Rozanne Gold and her All-Star Team. Check out the book, it’s full of beautiful pictures and fun tips! Adding zucchini is a great twist on classic banana bread and just one more way to get more healthy vegetables into your diet. Imagine a steaming warm slice of this bread with a cup of tea at breakfast time. Mmmm I can almost smell it!
“Very Moist Zucchini-Banana Cake”
- 1 large zucchini, about 10 ounces
- 2 extra-large eggs
- ¾ cup turbinado sugar
- 2/3 cup olive oil, plus more for greasing the pan
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 very ripe medium banana
- ½ cup golden raisins
- 1 ½ cups self-rising flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Wash the zucchini and dry; do not peel. Grate the zucchini on the large holes of a box grater to get 2 cups. Using your clean hands, squeeze the zucchini dry.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer beat the eggs and sugar on medium-high for 3 minutes. Add the oil, vanilla, and cinnamon and beat for 30 seconds. Peel the banana and break it into small pieces. Add the banana to the bowl. bEat until the banana is incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Stir in the zucchini and raisins, then slowly add the flour and mix well.
- Lightly oil a nonstick 8×4-inch loaf pan. Pour in the batter and bake for 45 minutes, until fim and golden. Remove from the oven and let cool. Turn bread out of pan and slice.
(Recipe from Eat Fresh Food – Awesome Recipes for Teen Chefs written by Rozanne Gold and her All-Star Team, published by Bloomsbury USA Children’s Books)
Did you make this recipe? How did it turn out? Want to bring some by the Go Folic office…? 🙂