As you may have heard, we here at Go Folic recently created our own Savory & Soulful recipe brochure. Here’s another tasty dish from our new brochure, just in time for summer! Our mixed berry crisp features strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries, which are all high in folate – and currently in season at a grocery store or farmers’ market near you!
Here’s a Go Folic tip: if you can find “fortified” or “enriched” whole wheat flour, use that in place of white flour for added fiber. It will taste just as good!
Mixed Berry Crisp
75 mcg Folate (19% RDA)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
- 7 cups unsweetened frozen and thawed strawberries, raspberries, and/or blackberries
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- nonstick cooking spray
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup enriched all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- Place an oven rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In medium bowl, mix berries, sugar, all-purpose flour, and cornstarch.
- Spray a 9×9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Pour fruit mixture into the baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine oats, enriched flour, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. Mix in butter until crumbly.
- Sprinkle oat mixture over berry mixture.
- Bake until topping is golden brown, about 45 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 6 servings, 1 cup per serving.