Mother’s Day is coming! Have you planned what to do on this special day to thank your mother and yourself (if you are a mom already) for all the work she had done for you and the family? One suggestion we have is to make her a meal. Make something that she likes. It doesn’t have to be fancy as long as it is filled with love. Below is a simple recipe that you can try making for her.
This recipe, “Sun-Dried Tomato and Carrot Meatloaf with Fabulous Creamed Spinach”, comes from Eat Fresh Food – Awesome Recipes for Teen Chefs by Rozanne Gold. This book has simple but tasty recipes. It is a great resource for young chefs.
Starting this Saturday, the Go Folic! Project will have a list of events to celebrate Mother’s Day and National Women’s Health Week. Check back tomorrow for a list of events in May. Come by and get a bottle of FREE multi-vitamins!
Sun-dried Tomato and Carrot Meatloaf with Fabulous Creamed Spinach
Serving Size: 4
- 1 small onion
- 1 large garlic clove
- 16 ounces fresh spinach leaves, washed, with any thick stems removed
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1½ tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- Sprinkling of grated nutmeg
For Sun-dried Tomato Carrot Meatloaf:
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 ½ pounds ground sirloin
- ½ cup grated carrots
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh chives
Fabulous Creamed Spinach
- In the very large pot you use for pasta, put 1 cup water. Cut the onion into paper-thin slices and add to the pot. Peel the garlic and cut in half lengthwise. Add to the pot and bring the water to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Add the spinach and ½ teaspoon salt. Cover the pot tight and cook over high heat for 5 minutes, or until the spinach is wilted and tender but still bright green. Transfer the mixture to a colander and press down hard to release all the liquid.
- Put the warm spinach mixture in the bowl of a food processor. Add the cottage cheese and butter and process until very smooth (all the white flecks will have disappeared). Add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with the cheese and nutmeg
Sun-Dried Tomato Carrot Meatloaf:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Drain 2 tablespoons oil from the tomatoes and put it in a nonstick skillet. Finely dice the sun-dried tomatoes. Peel the onion and finely chop. Heat the oil in the skillet and add the onions. Cook over medium-high heat for 10 minutes until very soft, stirring often.
- Put the ground beef in a large bowl. Add the diced sun-dried tomatoes, cooked onions and any juices, carrots, chives, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/3 cup ice-cold water. Mix thoroughly.
- Place in a rimmed baking sheet and form into a heart shape or into an 8 x 14½ inch loaf. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until browned and firm to the touch. Let rest 5 minutes and serve with hot creamy spinach.
Tip: The secret to the very juicy meatloaf is the ice-cold water that gets added to the mixture before baking.