From the Moosewood Cookbook: “An Indonesian extravaganza: Yellow rice on a bed of spinach, covered with vegetables, tofu, and hardboild eggs. A gingery peanut sauce gets drizzled over the top, and crunchy flavorful ‘final toppings’ add a delightful finishing touch…”
1) A bed of fresh spinach goes on the bottom.
2) Yellow rice goes on the spinach. (To make yellow rice, cook 2 cups rice in 3 cups simmering water with 1/2 tsp. turmeric. Add a little extra water toward the end of cooking if needed until tender.)
3) An assortment of vegetables goes on the rice. Such as:
- A small bunch of broccoli, cut into small spears and steamed
- Fresh green beans, lightly steamed
- Red and green cabbage, very finely shredded
- Thin slices of carrot, lightly steamed or raw
- Mung bean sprouts
4) Tofu and hardboiled eggs (sliced or chopped) go on the vegetables.
Makes approx. 6 servings