Looking for something fun and different to do with your greens? Try this quick and easy twist on a standard wrap or burrito. Collard greens are an excellent source of vitamin C, beta-carotene, and manganese, and a good source of vitamin E and zinc. They also contain good amounts of (you guessed it) folate!
- Wash collard green leaves and cut out the portion with the thickest stem.
- Quickly steam until the leaves soften and turn bright green. This should take no more than one minute.
- Add your favorite filling (see below) and wrap like a burrito. Fold over once, then fold in the two sides, then roll the wrap until it forms a nice cylinder shape.
Fillings – The possibilities are endless! Some of our favorites are listed below:
- Cooked black beans, spanish rice, raw red pepper, and monterey jack cheese
- Black quinoa, sauteed onions, and raw purple cabbage
- Lean turkey sausage and sauteed mushrooms
- Curried potatoes, green peas, and golden raisins
- Tinga de pollo (shredded chicken in red salsa, pictured above!) This link from whatscookingmexico.com also has some great pictures of the assembly process!
Like this recipe? Like us on Facebook and tell us how you cook your collard greens wraps🙂