Beans can be used in many recipes. Bean stew is one of them. This recipe is taken from Soulful Recipes by Champions for Change. It uses different types of beans and spices to make the food more favorful. You can also substitute or add other beans based on your preference. Enjoy this healthy stew with your friends and family. And share the wealth of health.
Makes 8 servings. 1/2 cups per serving.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can or fresh diced tomatoes
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can red beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 tablespoons fat-free sour cream (optional)
1. In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
2. Saute onion, bell pepper, and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes, corn, vegetable broth, chili powder, oregano, and beans. Stir well.
4. Cover and simmer until thoroughly heated, about 15 minutes.
5. Spoon into 8 bowls. If desired, top each bowl with one tablespoon of fat-free sour cream and serve with whole grain rolls.