On yesterday’s Healthy Veggie Bio, you have learned about the nutrients and health benefits of sweet corn. Today’s recipe will not only involve corn, but also folate rich black beans. Black beans are excellent sources of molybdenum, folate, tryptophan, manganese, protein, Vitamin B1, and iron. Most importantly, black beans are also high in soluble fiber! This makes black beans a cholesterol lowering star!
Makes 4 servings. 1/2 pita per serving.
Prep time: 15 minutes
- 1 (15-ounce) can low-sodium black beans
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup fresh or no salt added canned tomatoes
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper or more to taste
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 medium whole wheat pita pockets
- 1/3 cup shredded part-skim Mozzarella cheese
1. Drain and rinse beans. In a medium bowl, combine beans, corn, tomatoes, avocado, and garlic. Add parsley, cayenne pepper, lemon juice, and chili powder.
2. Cut pita bread in half to form 4 pockets, and spoon equal amounts of filling into each half. Top with cheese and serve.