National Women’s Health Week, coordinated by the U.S. Office on Women’s Health, empowers women to make their health a top priority. At Go Folic!, we realize that it can be difficult for women to make our own health a priority. When we’re younger, activities like studying, working, socializing and building a life take a lot of time. As we get older, we often focus on meeting the needs of our partners or spouses, children and parents before taking care of ourselves.
Why National Women’s Health Week?
National Women’s Health Week will help us remember that we are as important as the others we take care of. And when we take care of ourselves, the health of those we love – our family and friends – can also improve. Even taking one or two simple steps to improve our physical and mental health can have big results.
Some Easy Suggestions
The Office of Women’s Health suggests doing one or more of the following:
- Exercise moderately for at least 2 hours and 30 minutes each week. Want some support? Join the 8-week Women’s Challenge to find a peer group of other women who also want to start or increase their exercise.
- Increase the nutrition in your diet. Don’t have time to cook? Try Fitness Magazine’s “The Lazy Girl’s Guide to No-Cook Meals” for super easy and healthy recipes.
- Visit a health care professional for a checkup and preventive screening. Don’t have insurance? Healthy San Francisco makes health care affordable, no matter what your income!
- Vow to avoid a risky behavior like smoking, not wearing a seat belt or having unprotected sex. Want extra motivation? Vive will send you customized text messages or emails to encourage you to meet personal health goals.
- Pay attention to your mental health! Get enough sleep and manage stress. This quick stretching routine from Dr. Oz could make it easier to do both.
Of course, at Go Folic! we want to remind every woman to take a daily multi-vitamin with folic acid (click here to find out how to get free Go Folic! Multis). Benefits include better physical health, help for dealing with stress, and better hair, skin and nails.
What are you doing to improve your health?
We’d love to know. So please leave a comment telling us what your plans are. Or submit your Healthy Woman Bio for a chance to win a $50 Visa Gift Card and be featured on our blog! (Click here for details.)