Last week, we introduced the Go Folic! Spanish Recipe Brochure with a recipe in Spanish. This recipe was taken from the Feeling Good Project’s Cooking Curriculum. The Feeling Good Project is a program of the San Francisco Department of Public Health’s Nutrition Services. It works to improve the nutritional well-being and physical activity of low income San Francisco residents.
As promised, for those who do not understand Spanish, we are posting the English version today!
- 1 lb. turkey sausage
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 lb. fresh greens, washed and chopped (collards, mustard, kale, spinach, cabbage)
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Fresh herbs of your choice (parsley, oregano, basil, etc.)
(Always wash all fruits and vegetables and cut on a board not used for meat, fish or poultry)
- In a pan over medium heat: cook sausage in 1/4 cup of chicken broth
- Cook until broth has evaporated and sausage is lightly browned: remove from heat and set aside to cool
- In a large stock pot over medium heat: add 4 cups of chicken broth, water, and greens
- When the sausage is cool enough to handle, cut it in 1/4-1/2 inch slices and add it to the pot
- Continue to cook soup until greens are tender but still bright in color
- Season with pepper and herbs of your choice
TIPS: A great way to serve this dish is over rice, with cut potatoes or with corn tortillas. If you like beans, add a can of white canellini beans to increase the folate.
We’re curious! If you tried this recipe, what mix of greens and herbs did you use? What did you serve witht he Soup?